Thursday, October 11, 2012

A Girl Named Brandon


We‘ve been talking about how being a different gender or race will impact the kind of opportunity someone can get. Today we focused primarily on transgenders. In Rosin’s essay “A Boy’s Life” she tells the story of a little boy named Brandon that believed he was a girl. Brandon wants to dress like a girl, act like a girl and do everything that a little girl would do. His parents resisted this behavior their son was having, but eventually gave in and gave him puberty blockers and the name Bridget.
            This story really touched my heart. I feel sympathy for the boy that is being pressured to be what society wants him to be instead of letting him be an individual. On the other hand, I know that God made Brandon a little boy for a reason and going against God’s purpose for your life is detrimental to your well-being. I’ve seen a parent punish their son because he was playing with a doll instead of a truck. Many young children go through a phase of being interested in things the opposite sex does and a parent’s reaction to this phase is crucial. Many parents mistake this phase to be a child’s life choice, and vice versa.
            I believe that if parents let their child be interested in something that their sex doesn’t normally do, it helps the child to figure out what they like. I’m not saying to send all young boys to dance school and all young girls to football practice; I’m just saying parents should let their child understand that just because she doesn’t like dolls or the color pink, that doesn’t mean that she’s a boy.

5 comments:

  1. You stated above that you think that messing with God's plan for your life is detrimental to your well-being, but isn't encouraging opposite-sex behavior messing with God's plan? Wouldn't that make a boy or girl more confused about what they think that they like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that a young girl doesn't have to have the favorite color ping or always want to play with dolls. It doesn't make her "transgender" just because she doesn;t like those specific things,it merely means that she may by a tom boy. I do not believe that many children go through phases of playing with toys of the opposite sex, however there are a few.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like that you said going against God's plans for our lives is "detrimental to our well-being" rather than using a word like "wrong". I fully agree that a parent's reaction to children's growth and understanding of themselves and their interest is crucial. You made a very good argument, and ended with a very clear conclusion. Thank you for this. I felt like it was really genuine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you that parents should not freak out if his/her child shows interest in a few things that are sometimes associated with the opposite sex (such as guys who like art, and girls who love hunting). However I do believe it is important for parents to show their children that they don't need to feel or act like the opposite sex for them to enjoy these activities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your comment about girls not having to like the color pink and play with dolls. I never really fell in love with the color pink and I prefer to play with action figures over dolls, but I am still a girl. I also like how you brought up the fact that God made us who we are for a reason. we are all part of God's perfect plan for the world and we should not try to change that.

    ReplyDelete