Thursday, October 25, 2012

Sheeple


            This week we talked about education and empowerment. I read the essay “Against School” by Gatto. In this essay he talks about how schools are training children to be mindless drones, just following rules and obeying orders without question. He thinks schools would be good if teachers cared about their work and students, but until then, school is just a place to learn how to mindlessly obey authority.
            I am not sure how I feel about this. Being homeschooled from Kindergarten to graduation, I never once steeped into a public school class. From what I could tell, school was a place of socialization instead of learning. Students would talk about seeing friends and talking to people at school instead of what they learned. This seemed ridiculous to me because I was always taught to put academics before everything else. In homeschool, you are never caught up in drama or seeing your friends in class. Instead, homeschool is about getting work done and putting friends off until your studies had been completed.
            I somewhat agree with Gatto in the way that some teachers have become complacent in their work, but can we blame them if the students are degrading their teachers 5 days a week? I believe that students are often to blame. Some students do not try to excel in classes, some just want to pass and teachers can tell if they only want to do the bare minimum. This is frustrating to teachers to try to teach complacent students, and it often makes the teacher become complacent as well.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you that students are sometimes the cause of the problem in having complacent teachers because they are just there to get by. I also believe that there are some teachers who do not care about teaching what so ever. They are often times there because they want to coach so they have to be teachers. So, instead of really caring about the students learning, they just go through the motions in order to pass the students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I come from the same background. When I heard other talking about school, it almost always pertained to social activities, sports and just plain old drama.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that student’s education is suffering from teachers not caring. I also agree that the students are primarily to blame. I think this is due to lack of discipline and parents not enforcing the importance of education to their children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you about the students just wanting good grades and not really caring about the learning process. However, not all students are there just for their friends. There are really hard-working public schoolers out there.

    ReplyDelete