This week we talked about the myth
of individual opportunity and what it really means to be successful. I honestly
don’t believe that there is equal opportunity because not everyone has the same
chances or opportunities to rise up in the world. We read an essay called From
Ragged Dick by Horatio Alger about a poor uneducated boy suddenly given a
chance to move significantly higher up on the social totem pole.
Every once in a while, we hear of a
rags to riches story, but how often do they really happen? What had to happen
to get us from under class to upper-or even middle class? The cold, hard truth
is that we don’t have equal opportunity or decent chances that we can rise in
our social standing.
Let’s take doctors for instance; doctors are
classified as a respectable peer group. Doctors earn a fairly good amount of
money, they’re respected, and they live pretty good lives. Do we all have the
opportunity to become doctors? No, because even though they get paid well, they
had to pay a lot of money to go to med school and countless years of other
higher education. Some people can’t afford to send their kids to high school.
They obviously do not have good chances of becoming doctors if they had to drop
out of high school to get a fast food job. Is it possible for them to become
doctors? Technically, yes, but the chances are so slim it’s devastating.
My point is that in our current
society, there are so many obstacles one has to overcome in life to keep their
parent’s social standing, much less go beyond what their parents did. It is
totally possible to rise above, but chances are very slim. Chances are out
there, you just need to find them, work for them and hope for the best.
I don't know if I agree with what you said about how it is really hard to have the same social standing as your parents or rise above them. I feel like more jobs are paying more and more. Also for schooling there are student loans and scholarships that pay for schooling for kids to become lawyers or doctors and become even more successful than their parents. I think it depends on how motivated you are and how much you really want it.
ReplyDeleteI liked your essay a lot and I agree with many of your points! However I disagree with what you mentioned about higher education. I believe that the many of scholarship opportunities that are available today are making it more and more feasable to rise above ones social standing. However to receive that scholarship assistance, it takes hard work.
ReplyDeleteI agree with many of your points, but not about not being able to go above and beyond what your parents did. I believe that anyone can do anything they set their minds to, if they want it bad enough, then they can get it.
ReplyDelete