Tuesday, August 28, 2012

     Hello, my name is Leah. I'm a freshman in college majoring in Psychology: Pre-Counseling with a minor in German. I'm Child number 5 out of 6, I have 3 older brothers, 1 older sister, and a younger sister as well as a spirited little dog named Jack. My father is the Minister of Music and Education at the church I regularly attended back at home, and my mother is a stay-at-home mom that homeschooled all 6 of us.

     Homeschooling is something that most people are ignorant about. I get asked all the time if I just copied answers out of the teacher's book or don't even do it at all. Some people think homeschoolers are either extremely smart or extremely dumb, and that's what I don't like about it. People's misconceptions about homeschooling dictate how they treat a person who didn't go to "regular school". A lot of people assume that if you're homeschooled, you're automatically a social outcast or you're very anti-social, but the truth of the matter is, we're just like everyone else.

     I went to a school for the first time during my junior and senior years of high school. I attended a Vocational school and became a certified carpenter. We competed a lot in carpentry school which gave me the opportunity to travel the state and win medals, ribbons and tools. I did pretty well in team competitions and our team even won silvers medals at the state level.

     Other interest of mine include sewing, watching movies, growing bamboo and taking long walks on the beach. Hope you've enjoyed my introduction!

6 comments:

  1. I agree that people have the wrong ideas about students who are homeschooled. Its good that your showing an example that there is no discernible difference between someone that is homeschooled and someone who grew up going to public schools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you are standing up to those who judge you based upon your past educational experience. It takes courage to do that and it shows that you have great leadership skills, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire your courage to stand up to those who hold misconceptions about you and am so glad that you choose to write about this topic in your introduction. Your story is such an encouragement !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire you for your educational skills. I think it's really good that you're able to stand up for myself. Your introduction was really interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's awesome that you are ready and willing to stand up and prove anyone who thinks that homeschooled kids are social outcasts wrong! I have several friends who have been homeschooled all of their lives and they have and are becoming some of the most successful people I know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being a fellow homeschooler I completely understand. One of the comments I have heard most offen is, "well you don't act homeschooled." From my experience there are many more people who don't fit the steriotypes than those thay do.

    ReplyDelete